As you try to conquer your clutter, it may help to think about your organizing style as a concealer – someone who likes items out-of-sight – or a revealer – someone who likes to keep their items in view. Finding your preference will help you decide where to keep items and what kind of storage containers and systems you should use.
How do I find my style?
Ask yourself these yes or no questions:
- If I put something away do I forget where I put it or I forget that I have to take action on it?
- Do I find that out-of-sight means out-of mind?
- Do I gravitate toward clear bins so that I can see what is inside them?
- Can I live with seeing toys, files, mail, etc., out in the open?
- Do I prefer to use labels so that I can tell exactly where each item belongs?